Between the Government of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic
the Government of the Kingdom of Cambodia
Phnom Penh, 12 September 2019
- At the invitation of Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HUN SEN, Prime Minister of the Kingdom of Cambodia, His Excellency Thongloun SISOULITH, Prime Minister of the Lao People’s Democratic Republic paid an official visit to the Kingdom of Cambodia from 12 to13 September 2019. His Excellency Thongloun SISOULITH and accompanying delegates which include His Excellency Minister of Foreign Affairs Saleumxay Kommasith and other high ranking officials were warmly welcomed by the Royal Government and the people of Cambodia.
- During this visit, His Excellency Thongloun SISOULITH laid wreathes at the Monument of Independence to pay homage to the war heroes and heroines of Cambodiaand paid respect at the Royal Memorial of His Majesty Preah Bat Samdech Preah NORODOM SIHANOUK, PREAH BOROM RATANAK KAUDH, the Late King Father of Cambodia. His Excellency the Prime Minister of the Lao PDR made courtesy calls on Samdech Vibol Sena Pheakdei SAY CHHUM, President of the Senate and Acting Head of State, and Samdech Akka Moha Ponhea Chakrei HENG SAMRIN, President of the National Assembly of the Kingdom of Cambodia, during which he had a cordial exchange of views with the Cambodian leaders, reflecting long-lasting relations of close friendship between the two countries.
- Samdech Techo Prime Minister HUN SEN and His Excellency Prime Minister Thongloun SISOULITH had a candid discussion in a warm and understanding atmosphere on various issues that are of common benefit to both countries. The two Prime Ministers agreed as stated in the following points.
- Both sides agreed to elevate the relations betweenthe Lao People’s Democratic Republic and the Kingdom of Cambodiato a comprehensive and long-lasting strategic partnership, with a view to further consolidate and enhance the bond of amity, the spirit of fraternal solidarity and cooperation in the political-security, economic, socio-cultural fields. The two sides shall continue to develop their friendly relations based on the international law, especially the principles enshrined in the United Nations Charter and the ASEAN Charter. Both sides reaffirmed their mutual trust and confidence, and respect for the principles of non-interference into each other’s internal affairs, non-use of force or threat of force, peaceful settlement of disputes, and not allowing anyforeign political group or armed forces to use their respective territory against the other side.
- Both sides shall continue to maintain regular high-level meetings between representatives of the two governments and other state institutions in order to strengthen and promote the coordination between the two sides to jointly address issues or incidents in a timely and effective manner with the aim of enhancing trust between the two nations.
- Both sides agreed to task the Joint Boundary Commission (JBC) of the two countries to jointly draft, as soon as possible, a Treaty on the Demarcation of the Boundary between the Lao People’s Democratic Republic and the Kingdom of Cambodia pertaining to the segments where both sides have completed the border demarcation amounting to 86% of the borderline between the two countries. For the remaining un-demarcated border segments, both sides agreed to continue to discuss ways to resolve peacefully the issues as soon as possible. Both sides also agreed to task the JBC of the two countries todiscuss implanting complementary boundary pillars in the above-said 86% border segments and to produce a border map showing the boundary line accepted by the two sides for attachment to the above-said Treaty.
- Moreover, both sides agreed to encourage their respective relevant authorities, at the central and local levels, to implement their respective duties with a high sense of responsibility in order to ensure peace and stability along the common borderline between Lao PDR and Cambodia and to turn it into a border of lasting peace, friendship and cooperation.
- Both sides agreed to coordinate and work closely together in the areas of defense and public security, particularly through regular consultation and exchange of visits at all levels; student exchange; consular and legal cooperation, including on the transfer of sentenced persons, and cooperation to combat illicit drugs and other transnational crimes and to address transboundary issues such as communicable diseases and disasters.
- Both sides reiterated the importance of promoting bilateral economic relations through joint efforts to increase trade and investment exchanges between the two countries and promote cooperation in the areas such as agriculture, forestry and fishery, finance, transport, telecommunication, labour and vocational training, hydrometeorology and environment. They also concurred that strengthening socio-cultural cooperation, namely the areas of social welfare, education and sports, information, culture and tourism, healthcare and youth not only supports economic relations, but also enhances the spirit of friendship between the two nations.
- Both sides agreed to further promote cooperation on energy, particularly through increasing bilateral trade in electricity generated either by coal, hydropower and other renewable power sources between the two countries in the coming years based on the capacity of the two sides. To this end, both sides concurred to encourage the relevant authorities of both side to ensure that the construction of high-voltage power transmission lines between Lao PDR and Cambodia are completed as agreed and according to plan. Both sides expressed common desire to encourage energy trade at regional level, and shared the view that energy trade between Lao PDR, Cambodia and Viet Nam can be promoted through the establishment a joint transmission network of the three countries.
- The two sides agreed to promote Sister City cooperation between the capital cities of Vientiane and Phnom Penh and between Champasak Province and Siem Reap Province. Additionally, the two sides agreed to encourage their respective officials in the border provinces to hold regular meetings and consultations in order to promote close cooperation and mutual assistance in all areas of mutual interest.
- Both sides agreed to continue promoting cooperation within the frameworks of sub regional and regional mechanisms for sustainable and comprehensive regional economic development including through the implementation of existing agreements under the framework of Cambodia-Lao PDR-Viet Nam Development Triangle Area (CLV-DTA).
Done in duplicate in Phnom Penh, on 12 September 2019, in the English language.
For the Government of
the Lao People's Democratic Republic
For the Government of
the Kingdom of Cambodia